Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Victorian childrens mourning skirt with ruched apron overskirt

I was inspired by these girls Victorian mourning dresses to make these skirts.


I used the same a line pattern just lengthening one skirt slightly longer than the next.



They can be worn separately or together and as underskirts as seen here with a ruched crepe overskirt-apron.

 Preshrunk wool for skirt panels.

 Preshrunk crepe used for ruched apron and skirt ruffles.



 Here you can see I used a simple a line skirt pattern and just added 1 tier of ruffles to the hem for that "Victorian" effect.

  I added additional faux seams to the shorter top skirt to make it appear to be a 7 gore skirt.  You will have to forgive the cat hair! ;) lol


 I made the over-skirt into an apron with ruching & simply left the zipper seam open all the way to the hem to turn it into an apron, and making the bias tape waist band longer to create the ties for the apron.

For a video tutorial for applying elastic to create ruching on a skirt check out: Evange's tutorial for a lolita/hime skirt
 This is the simple pattern I used for both the overskirt and the underskirts, it doesn't even have darts.  Its pieces 1 & 2. There is so much you can do with this pattern.

3 comments:

  1. Just finished making this for a steampunk outfit for a friends wedding, it looks extremely good and I just want to say thank you for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Wonderful news! Please send me photos of you. Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked your site to check out the new stuff you post. homedepotmyapron.net

    ReplyDelete

Hello, help stop anonymous trolls and reduce spam by using a Google ID to comment. Merely choose from the drop down list provided for commenting. Thank you, Victorian Nonsense